Consultation on establishing a new Council Controlled Organisation
Closed 12 April 2021
Consultation is now closed.
Hawke’s Bay Regional Council was seeking community feedback on a proposal to establish two new Council Controlled Trading Organisations (CCTOs) to operate a proposed new food hub called FoodEast.
- Hawke’s Bay’s economy is powered by the agriculture and horticulture sectors.
- FoodEast is currently a proposal to create a food hub which will facilitate collaboration, innovation, and best-practice.
- A food innovation hub in Hawke’s Bay will support and accelerate regional growth and build on the region’s competitive advantage.
- Hawke’s Bay Regional Investment Company Limited is looking to invest in Food East, and is consulting the community on a proposal to establish two new Council Controlled Trading Organisations to operate FoodEast.
- Consultation is on the formation of the CCTOs which will own and operate the investment, not on the investment opportunity itself.
- The Council is required under section 56 of the Local Government Act 2002 (LGA) to undertake consultation before establishing a CCTO.
- Establishing the CCTOs enables HBRIC to make a decision to invest in FoodEast.
Key points to note on the investment:
- This $18 million project has attracted $12 million of government funding.
- $6 million is to come from regional investors. A Limited Partnership is proposed to be established which will have financial advantages for investors.
- The project has engaged with Local Government, iwi, Eastern Institute of Technology, Waikato University, Plant & Food Research. Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment and the business community.
A significant amount of work has been undertaken by the FoodEast establishment board with investors identified to fulfil the $6m required of regional funding. This funding has been identified from three investors:
- Hawke’s Bay Regional Investment Company Limited - $4m
- Hastings District Council - $1m
- Progressive Meats - $1m
Make your submission here
Submissions are open from 25 March to 12 April and can be made online below. Once you have submitted on this proposal, you will have an opportunity to be heard by Council on 28 April 2021.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by Hawke's Bay Regional Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hawke's Bay Regional Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hawke's Bay Regional Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Hawke's Bay Regional Council